On April 28, 2016 the High Bridge will be recognized as a winner of the Lucy G. Moses Preservation Awards by the New York Landmarks Conservancy. The award is one of NY Landmarks Conservancy's most prestigious honors.
The High Bridge, first completed in 1848, served as an aqueduct bridge bringing the first reliable and fresh water from Croton Reservoir in upper Westchester to New York City. Construction on the bridge was started in 1839 and it is the oldest standing bridge in New York City. The High Bridge has undergone major modifications during its 168 year history -- most notably the addition of additional water tubes in the 1860s, the replacement of the pillars located in the Harlem River with a steel span in 1927, and the restoration completed in 2015. The bridge connects the two boroughs of the Bronx in the Highbridge section to the Washington Heights section of Manhattan.
The 2015 bridge restoration now allows pedestrians and bicyclists to cross the 1,450 foot span thanks to the preservation efforts of the city.
The bridge officially re-opened to the public in early June of last year, but will be recognized as a preservation achievement at the upcoming ceremony in April.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy received nominations from restoration projects across the city that have made great gains over the past year. To determine which projects merit awards, the conservancy looks at the preservation work specifically and what the projects bring to communities.